Thursday, August 19, 2010

A true blue friend in the Bluegrass State


I have been on a blog writing hiatus, mainly because I wanted to concentrate on some other things I have been letting slide.  Well, things are still sliding but I miss blogging so the hiatus is officially over. Plus, I really wanted to share the trip I made last weekend to visit with some wonderful friends, Weave Girl and Athletic, in Alexandria, Kentucky. 

I have found that time passes more slowly outside of NYC and sitting on the back porch talking about nothing and everything with my girlfriends was just heavenly.  Later we went out on the town and found ourselves in downtown Cincinnati for dinner and drinks and listened to a great acoustic guitarist at Blind Melon.  I met a lot of Weave's friends who are were v. fun and interesting - even one Steelers fan!  And on Sunday we went for a local favorite – the Ice Ball.  It’s ice cream and slushy and pretty darn tasty and went perfectly with peaceful moment sitting on a park bench with my two friends.  
hometown favorites - Dene & the Iceball!
Mostly it was interesting to see Weave Girl operate in her hometown since I have only known her “als Fremde” in Karlsruhe - but this trip gave me a glimpse behind the curtain. In meeting the parents and the friends it gave me insight into the person she is. And who is that, exactly? Well….She is an observer of things, never too quick to make rash decisions. She works hard to play hard. She is full of wanderlust but stays true to her roots.  She also stays true to herself.  She listens without judgment.  She is appreciative and counts her blessings. She gets joy from watching others have a good time. She is a quiet storm, a fighter. She is my friend Weave Girl, my friend Little Dynamo , my friend Dene. And she likes me just as I am (or whoever I am – Dasha, Farah or Stephanie). And I like her for all of these things that make her who she is. Thanks for the wonderful weekend, Dene. And thank you for your friendship.  You always make me smile.

lovebirds

Together again

No comments:

Post a Comment