Sunday, February 13, 2011

A true icon



I have long admired Patti Smith.  Patti is an accomplished poet, writer, performer, artist and singer – and it was with great honor that I was able to attend her performance on Wednesday that marked the 40 year milestone of her Poetry debut at St. Mark’s Church in 1971.  As I sit here tonight and watch the Grammy awards – with all the talent and good music this year being showcased, I still can’t help but think of the mother of Punk Rock, a woman who has used her intelligence and immense talent to do what she loves and to really make an impact  – even if meant breaking boundaries. Patti’s free-form style keeps her work interesting and unexpected, and plays into her bohemian persona. Her ability to live in the moment, continue to evolve her work and bring awareness to many social issues – all the while remaining true to herself, symbolizes to me a woman who is revolutionary - with a great heart and much bravado.

Thanks Patti, for influencing me with your memorable words. Keep it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment